One of the guiding principles from our shareholders is that the company should not have “all its eggs in one basket” so we currently have a portfolio of five food businesses and a pub in different but complementary market areas:
- Aunt Bessie’s is one of the fastest growing food brands in the UK. As well as its famous Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes, the range also includes a growing selection of family favourites, from tasty, traditional stuffing and dumplings, to seasonal vegetables and nostalgic desserts.
- Jacksons is the leading UK sandwich bread producer, baking more than one million loaves each week. It is also the home of Yorkshire’s Champion Bread, bloomers, Farmhouse loaves, cobs and rolls, all baked to perfection in Hull using flour milled in Yorkshire.
- MyFresh Chicksands are specialists in freshly prepared vegetables and source ingredients through our Spanish business, WJFG Europe, when they’re not available in the UK. MyFresh’s Wigan site was sold to owners of the Florette brand Agrial in 2017 – click here to find out more.
- Abel & Cole was established 27 years ago and since then has built a reputation for supplying high quality organic vegetable boxes with fantastic levels of service. It now delivers a range of groceries, all ethically sourced, and local wherever possible, to tens of thousands of homes across the country every week.
- The Food Doctor was started by nutritionists in 1999 and today sells branded healthy snacking and bread products across major retailers as well as specialist health retail outlets.
- The Ferguson Fawsitt Arms is a welcoming historic inn in the beautiful village of Walkington, East Yorkshire. Home-cooked food, comfortable accomodation and a coffee shop are all enjoyed by visitors.
If you click on a company identity it will take you directly to their website where you can find out more about what they do.
Our business was founded by William Jackson when he opened his first shop in Hull in September 1851. The son of a farmer was clearly an old romantic as he married in the morning and opened the shop – a Grocer and Tea Dealer – in the afternoon!
Between then and now the business has been through many different phases which have helped shape the way we think and behave. We have learned that continual reinvention and adaptation is a way of life. Great people and innovation are the lifeblood of the business and sometimes you have to recognise when the game is up and move on. Our sense of pride in what we do and our ability to take a long-term view are critical for us.
We are now a focused food company with five terrific businesses plus of course our brilliant pub! We have a rich history but we remain restless, ambitious and really excited by the opportunities in front of us.
To view our Gender Pay Report click here.
To view our Tax Strategy click here.